Monday, December 15, 2014

Changed Views


I have always been one to have strong opinions and concerns about things, but never expressed my feelings about it. After taking this class and having to write based on our own feelings, I have found it a lot easier to express my feelings about an issue I strongly believe in.

I know we had discussed it in class why most of us don't know how to write in our own discourse and express ourselves, but it is very weird that I had never realized it. I knew that we are taught in the Western ways, but it wasn't obvious to me. It wasn't obvious why expressing myself was difficult and why I didn't know how to write what I was feeling. Now that my eyes have been opened, I blame the teachers.

I blame teachers because I am sure that they learned about this in college, just like we did. I am sure they have learned to express themselves and have strong opinions about situations; that's what college is about right. Instead, they prefer not to pass it on and encourage the Western ways. I blame them for making us go to the norm instead of starting us to critically think from a young age so we don't have a difficulty with it in college.



As I go on with my days, I think about my different discourses and how to make them better. This changed one belief, but created a new one. I believe that professional writing:"the Western way" will get one where they need to be because they are writing how everyone wants them too. But I also think it is okay to throw in some extra little kick into it. Its good to put in ones' opinions in a professional manner that gets a point across.

It should be that one gets an A for how creative they are with their writing and ideas, not for how proper it is. And too think about it, for one of our assignments I stated that we should not write in our discourse, but now that has changed. I wrote that we should always write the Western way but as I try to express myself a lot more, I noticed that more people agree with me and seem interested even when I am expressing myself.



This class has taught me how to critically think and because of that, change my beliefs about discourses. Ones' discourse is the most important thing they carry because it is what they learn as kids. The subject on discourses really stuck to me because I never thought to express my feelings and sometimes was embarrassed to speak spanish in some cases. I will embrace who I am, the languages I speak, and most importantly my culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment