Tuesday, September 16, 2014

To Be That Image or
Else You’re Ugly


Not all females have the pleasure to wake up feeling happy and satisfied with their body. In our society today females all age’s women, teenagers, and even little girls are bombarded with advertisements being reminded that it’s essential to perceive the ideal body, to be accepted, happy and successful in the world we live in. In the U.S. today 80percent of women are dissatisfied with their appearance. We must consider that the media displays many images of the perfect women, with a slim waste 115 pounds, whether it is on television, magazines, social networking, or newspaper. It’s nearly impossible to pay attention to the media and not come across the message that to be “fat” is associated with being ugly, lazy, weak and undesirable. Females of all ages are affected dramatically based on how the media perceives the perfect body.

It is not only women who dread for this thin look, but girls today not only have to worry about attending school and homework but thinking about their body and weigh. It’s heart breaking that 42% of little girls ranging from ages 6-9 years old think about losing weight and 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat. In a study Two thirds of girls in the 5th to 12th grade mention that images on social media and magazines influenced their vision of an ideal body and it made them want to lose weight. 
It is not right that a girl who is only beginning to live her life has to be conscious of her weight and size at such a young age, but that’s all because of how media exposes the ideal shape of a female. We clearly see that the message media sends out are affecting all females.
Which brings me memories from when I was in the 5th grade, when I looked at my friends and envied their skinny bodies. Yet the only thing I thought of was how “fat” I was and when they ate, I would sit and watch and say I wasn’t hungry because I was only afraid of gaining another pound. The constant thought I had of how fat I was dramatized me.  When I looked at myself in the mirror I felt gross. The boys at school didn’t make it any easier when the only thing coming out of their mouth was, “ I wouldn’t date any girl that is fat.” My insecurity level went straight down hill at the age of 10 years old. This trend continued until my freshman year of high school when I began to run and workout every single day. But at this point of my life I had loss my baby fat and was much thinner. Now when I encountered people I went to school with they’d say, “WOW! You look different. Your so pretty.” This clearly made me question myself was I not pretty before because I was chubby? I ask myself everyday why did I put myself through this torture. Because I too was one of the many females who wanted to perceive ideal shape.
Every female who is put through this torture is affected both mentally and emotionally because they are caught up with the desire of wanting a perfect body shape and weight. But ultimately, self-esteem plays a huge role in a female’s life, it can drops dramatically when media portrays these images of the ideal body because it only makes them believe that they are not good enough. They aren’t given the opportunity to be okay with themselves as they are. It only causes great frustration when messages are being exposed of the perfect body.  It’s a mind blowing game which makes every girl and women believe that thin is the new beautiful and everything else doesn’t matter.
The way girls and women approach the message of the ideal body shape and weight is by trying to be that ideal body shape. Females turn any method to loose weight quick, while media too promotes different solutions to losing weight, such as promoting pills, teas, shakes or any other alternatives to lose weight in just two weeks. While other females try varies diets and do excessive exercise to reach the thin shape and the weight of 115 pound, but more often then not the ignorance of a female leads to more serious consequences and only harm their body.
It comes down to the way females are perceived in society that makes them shape that is accepted in society. Every single female in the world should accept and feel confident of who she is and what she looks like. However, in the society we live in today it is nearly impossible

No comments:

Post a Comment