Saturday, October 4, 2014

Are coupons really saving us money?




Sometimes buying cheap is not the best choice for you. Sometimes there is something behind all that discount you are getting. Sometimes you spend more than you later wish you had.

It is completely normal for people to cut out coupons that they find in their mail; coupons that are usually sent by the stores themselves in order to later go redeem them. It may seem like you are saving tons but why don’t you stop and think; how much would you actually buy if you did not have the coupons with you? Or if there was not a big sign in front of you saying “50% off”? Maybe less than what you are buying when you see the saving propaganda. Coupons are not really helpingyou; they are helping the store to make you buy much more than what you actually want and need.  For instance a coupon says something is 50% off with the purchase of another then what do you do? You go and buy two but why? Because it is cheaper to do it that way. But do you ever wonder if it really is? It is something natural all humans do. To go buy extras because they are n sale and then let it go bad. We tend to even buy stuff we don’t even like because the fact that it was on sale made it more appealing. Have you ever thought that there’s a reason for all this deals they have and that maybe it is not only to please the customer but also to help the store? Are the items being sold in good quality? Appearance? Or do they look weird and old/ maybe the object has been in a storage room for a long time and you are not being told about it.
source: fitoverusa.com

I personally do not use coupons and I admit that I had never thought in debt about how expensive it actually is to buy with them. You tend to spend more without noticing, you get home and realize that you got stuff you do not need or like. It is only natural for you to do so when you have so many “offers” to take advantage of. Stores want to make some profit and they know exactly how to do it. They know that as soon as the customer sees that something has a certain percentage off they will feel forced to buy.

My mom is someone that like most others feels like buying whatever is on sale is best for our family, in order to save for later, and she goes for it. She is someone that might not over do it like others do sometimes. She knows that buying too much even with coupons will make her send more than what she has. I have only seen her over due it a couple of times. She does definitely use her coupons for burger king coupons whenever she can to get more from her money.


When you walk into a store you automatically start looking for savings you can get. You look for the coupon book and see what you can use. But we should at some point stop and think; how are these actually helping us? How much more would I actually save if I didn’t use the coupons? How much longer would I keep my stuff? These are questions that nobody asks himself or herself before spending tons of money on stuff they don’t need. How much less would we spend if we didn’t have any coupons? It would be nice to know and a way to show people that coupon could not be as helping as they seem. Sometimes what the cheapest the prize the cheapest the quality.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting topic I have never really though about how if you buy with coupons people tend to buy in greater quantities. Being Mexican myself my mother tends to use coupons all the time to save money, but i have never really about using coupons as a bad thing or a way to get people to spend more in a store, which I can see the point you are trying to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought that deep about coupons before.My family uses coupons for KFC all the time. But I didn't know that we were spending more money by using coupons. Whenever I go to a grocery store people always have coupons. This blog was very informative. I will make sure my family doesn't go crazy with the coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've chosen a really unique and interesting topic. Ever thought of the "sales" at Macy's? There's a company profiting of making people feel like they're getting a deal. Great post. You are very academic- remember you can relax a little and sound like yourself on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This topic really got me thinking because I personally use coupons to "save" money. I didn't realize that coupons actually makes people spend more money then they need to. This blog was filled with different types of information that I wouldn't have known before-hand. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great topic that I think many people know about so I think its great that you have decided to bring this up. It a very interesting topic that I think we have all benefited from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I do agree/ disagree. My mom is a huge fan of coupons, my family calls her the coupon Queen, she spends her time cutting coupons and when she goes to the stores she hands them to the cashier and we see 5-10 dollars taken off. Its a way to save money. we must read the coupon right in order to not get ripped off.

    ReplyDelete