Sunday, October 26, 2014

What is a Proper English class?


What is a proper English class?

All English classes have a special curriculum that teachers have to go by. Students should know most of what is on that curriculum by the end of the school year in order to be ready for the next level of English. But how do you determine if someone is ready? A student could know all that is on the curriculum but still has weak writing skills because of the writing assignments that were thrown at them. From my experience when teachers let me write something on how I feel, or about something
I can relate to I find it a lot easier to express myself. Yes we all had those long book reports and those topics where we have to do research but how many of us can actually say that we actually wrote about what we like or how we feel in middle school or high school, not many of us. I understand that teachers have to get us ready for the real world but I believe that it doesn’t necessarily have to follow everything on the curriculum.
  
I think that English classes should have both topics we can easily discuss and those that take time to research and that will prepare us. I know a lot of students that dislike English because they always have been limited on their writing. They have to write a certain way and if it is not that way it is wrong. It is unfair that we are not able to express ourselves through our writing. I think if we were able, it would increase our writing skills because most of us would be interested in writing and we would devote more time to the writings.
           
Half of the English class should be on the curriculum and half of free writing and reading. We do need to be preparing for the real world such as cover letters resumes and other writings within our career. But in order to increase our skills we need to keep on writing on things we can either relate to or have specific opinions on. We definitely should not be limited to specific writing instructions and there always should be some free writing practices.

7 comments:

  1. Nice blog! Agree that we should always have some free writing practices since writing should not be limited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. People would definitely be more focused and devoted to their papers if they could write it in their own style. I know I would. I am focused on all of my papers, but I would be more focused if i could write my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we would like our english classes more if we were able to write how ever we wanted. We would be able to express ourselves so much easier and write so much more. i think most of the people in class also agree with the idea of having half of the class be standard curriculum and the other half be free for you to write how ever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts exactly, there is no definite answer into knowing what english is truly the write english. If there ever was an answer to a correct english, arguments would be buzzing on about. It was probably the Englishmen from Great Britain (England or the United KIngdom) who would have a concrete response to this question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally agree with you. I believe all students would love the subject english if they felt the freedom to write however they felt most comfortable writing in! I believe they would best express themselves that way and find themselves more engaged ! For the past year as a student English has been such a dread that because I have been told how to write , what to write, and that to me is complete BS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes sense that students dislike english class, because it is all about the standards and all the writing done is mostly just about the curriculum and about writing english up to standards. No really gets to write about something different than what is taught in the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need relatable subject matter to assist our understanding. You are totally spot on. I hate that we had to do some lame book reports or readings on something assigned due to the teach or school board's preferences.

    ReplyDelete