Monday, October 27, 2014

The writing disourse in the eyes of Amerika


Controversy arises when discussing whether or not students should have the right to write in their own discourse and language. Just hearing this sounds bizarre but only because it is breaking the status quo. We live in a country where everything is structured and in the educational system everything is set with common cores. None of those standards have ever included that students should write in their own discourse or language. But should they? According to SRTOL, students should be able to write in their discourse and language. This will empower students to write expressing what they feel in their own language. Zorn agues that SRTOL holds students back from meeting the standards they need.

As a student that grew up in a Spanish speaking home, I myself had to learn English when I started attending school. It was not easy but the bilingual classes that I was placed in facilitated my learning because I was in an environment where I had the right to express myself in my native language, which is Spanish. The teachers had specific times when we had to transition from Spanish to English and were very patient and nice to us which made us feel confident. Now that I am attending a four-year college I can say that English has helped me get this far. English writing skills have helped me deal with the real world such as applying for college, scholarships, and jobs. Even though I think writing in your own discourse should be permissible, I am more inclined with the idea of Zorn’s argument.

I do not want to discourage speaking Spanish either, Spanish is not only one of the most beautiful languages ever it is also one of the most important languages in the world. But in this country realistically speaking not speaking English would not get you so far.

I have the chance to tutor two 8th graders who just came from Mexico and El Salvador and do not speak English. I know how they must feel not knowing English specially being in that stage where everyone who started school in the U.S knows English. I provide them with a space where they can free write in their own discourse on their feelings so far. There should always be a space to let students write as they please just like we do in this blog. I feel more motivated to teach my tutees English just like I learned it once as I see the eager that they have to learn it. I want my tutees to get far in this country and for that they will have to learn to be literate in English since it is the language that will get them far in this country. I also know that once they do many doors will open for them, as they will become bilingual.  

Just like many first-generation college students had to learn English, other students should learn English and meet the academic standards.

5 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you are using what you learned from your teacher to help students that are just like you a few years ago. Plus, they will feel more comfortable with you because they can relate to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very important that you have a clear understanding of the English course material and how it affects your educational experience so far in the class room. Especially how interesting the arguments emphasized between Zorn and the SRTOL are used in your case as a tutor and as a student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a great thing by helping out those two 8th graders that do not know how to speak english. I feel like it is even more important to help students who are even more advanced in their grade level than lets say a 2nd grader, because I believe it is easier to learn a different language at a younger age than at an older age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I definitely like how you're able to be that role model for those students who are going through similar experiences you went through growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is true how you need to know English to get far in this country, it is a little messed up but it is like any other place in the world where a primary language is spoken, we would have to succumb to their primary discourse.

    ReplyDelete