Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Conscious of a Student while English 214

"English teachers have been teaching you how to write white." The crazy, unrealistic, sad reality that doesn't seem actually true until actually thought about. Structure, paragraphs, "write this way, not that way", the list goes on and on; this class has kicked the walls of the comfort zone down and has shown me a new perspective towards English. Coming in to this class I was expecting essay after essay, book after book, but right off the bat I realized that this was something a lot bigger than that, something that has taught me more than a book ever could.
I.N? Those 2 letters had me completely confused at one point, and even after explaining that it stood for invisible narrative it still had me lost. But after hearing examples that applied to the real word like racism, sexism, and blatant advertising it didn't take long for me to understand what it meant. It's right in front of our faces but we've been brainwashed by the media and schooling that we don't even notice it. Learning about invisible narratives and bringing them to light was so unconventional and fresh it was almost hard not to be excited about writing about them. To be able to choose an invisible narrative in society and expose it is the most interesting thing i've done thus far.
Recently we have been asked to write an essay on an invisible narrative about our personal discourse and turn it into a parody or fable. Although I will admit, it has been a bit hard and confusing at times it has taught me a lot about what I am trying to get myself involved in. First, it forces us to get involved with professors and professionals already in our chosen discourse. Second, it makes us sit down and analyze a piece of writing and determine the core components of the authors idea. Lastly, we have to take into consideration the main idea, turn it into our own and create our own story based on that.
As you can tell, this class has taught me quite a bit in such a short amount of time. Learning all about metaphors, true writing, and invisible narratives has taught me about a deeper meaning behind writing.

3 comments:

  1. I would agree entirely with you. It was completely unexpected on how things are structured in this class yet, it turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I had never heard the term "invisible narratives" until I stepped in this class. It is amazing how this course was formed to teach students how to think deeper into the obvious message of a piece of writing. This class is hard not to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on this. this class has really changed us all for the better.

    ReplyDelete