Sunday, October 12, 2014

This semester we have learned a few different things that have surprised me a little. So many things that during high school English teacher never taught us. English classes are so much different now because we get to learn new stuff, stuff that for some reason was in a way hidden from us.

Metaphors during high school we defined much more different than they are now. Now a metaphor is what you actually mean when you are talking. We hear metaphors everyday all the time because everyone speaks his or her own metaphor. You never know what the person you are talking to actually is thinking in their head. When we learned this I was really surprised because I thought that in order to talk metaphor you had to do with comparing two things that had nothing to do with each other. Know I know that I talk metaphors all the time and I am doing it right now too.

Aside from metaphors we have also learned about the different discourses we are acquiring and the ones we brought with us from before. Maybe we thought that we talked to every person in our lives in a different way but now we have learned that it is not like that. That every time we meet a person we come up with a whole new discourse. The one we will use when we are with them. For instance, we talk differently to our friends than we do to our parents; we have a different way of talking to every little group or individual in our lives. When I learned about this I was actually very surprised and couldn’t understand but after our class discussion on it I understood why. Things such as having a word that only the people in that little group know about because it doesn’t appear in dictionaries is a discourse. 

source: universityherald.com
Lastly the most recent thing we have been discussing and are also something that I had never learned or though about is invisible narratives. We were always asked to analyze writing for class but we never did it in such a deep manner as we are doing it now with the articles professors recommended. Looking deep into what the writer of this article actually means is something that we have always done, but looking for parts where maybe he doesn’t mean what he says but something completely different is something that I am just learning now. There are invisible narratives everywhere: in adds, professional writing, maybe even just as I write I am in a way creating an invisible narrative.

So many different things I have learned and have yet to learn sometimes make me feel excited because if they are as interesting as the ones I have just discussed I am definitely looking forward to that.  English classed have never been as exciting as the ones I am taking now at this point of my education. It is true that during high school you learn a lot but we should also be taught many different ways of writing and analyzing.


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the metaphor idea. I almost feel like we are given the wrong ideals in high school, when we are told that certain words have only one particular meaning. Now the word metaphor is much more important than comparing two things without using the words like or as in between. I like the new meaning much better.

    ReplyDelete