Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Unfairness of the English Language

I have always been a student who loved going school and learning new things. However, school hasn’t been an easy trip, at least not for me. English being my second language has given me many opportunities and opened new doors, although I’ve had a bumpy road.

Coming from a Latino background I first had to learn Spanish, the common language at home. I was actually born in another country and brought to the US at the age of eight. School was very difficult. I remember crying to my mother everyday and not wanting to return to school because of the language barrier. My parents did not speak a single word in English, which made it very difficult to complete my homework or even get my questions answered. It took me about two years to get the hang of it, yet I still have many flaws to work on.

My favorite subjects are math and science, so you may see the connection that English is my least favorite for many reasons. First of all, reading is not my thing. I understand that reading expands a person’s knowledge; however, reading bores me and makes me sleepy. I do enjoy reading thing of my interest, but when it comes to readings assigned by professors they don’t make me excited, although I tend to complete them.

I have always felt that the educational system is extremely unfair. Students don’t receive equal treatment. Neither do they have equal opportunities at school or at other public places. Students who’s English is their second language are placed at the bottom of the pedal stool from those who’s English is their first language. By having to test for proficiency levels in order to get admitted to college is almost like being discriminated. I personally feel like my English is good, but I am not sure if it will ever be perfect due to the fact that I have another language occupying my brain.

California is immensely diverse, which is why the education system should make changes that will provide equal opportunities to everyone who wishes to be educated and that is not particularly familiar with the English language.

As far as English 214 goes, I am having a very good semester so far. The readings are very interesting and contain material that some how some way relate directly to us. Professor Caitlin is very understanding and flexible. I appreciate her patience, because I myself don’t have enough patience. Everyone seems to get along, which makes it a comfortable environment to be in. If for some reason we don’t fully understand an assignment or need additional explanation, Professor Caitlin is always available. My favorite part of this course is that the professor makes it very welcoming for students by allowing us to call her by her first name, to make us all feel equal.


Assignments are self explanatory and very doable. I feel like the assignments were created for students to find their individual preference in writing and to understand hidden messages to the things we read. I have learned to explore deeper into readings. Before I would simply read an article and understand the obvious. However, I now take my time to fully understand the message of the article as well as to identify hidden invisible narratives that an author might not necessarily want the reader to see. I also hope to learn how to be confident with my writing and how to better express myself without being vague and repetitive.

1 comment:

  1. You had a bumpy road but look at you today, in a university and writing great! I really enjoyed your blog because it was personal, but academic. Be confident with your writing, great blog!

    ReplyDelete