Sunday, October 26, 2014

Why Write When it won’t be Right?
            

In institutions like grade school, colleges, and even higher education, teachers will expect students to demonstrate their mastery of basic principles such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and even English, through exams, class tests, readings, and all different types of assignments………….Did I just say?....YES ENGLISH! WE ARE TESTED ON THE WAY WE WRITE!

English Writing

If a student does not coherently understand the way California’s standardized English works, they will not do well on any educational English exam or class that is required in order for students to receive higher education. As a student throughout grade school in the state of California, I was expected to take English courses in order to advance my learning and knowledge on the English Language. So far, I have received a great amount of knowledge on the idea of what “Standard English” is expected to be. “Standard English” to be is the way my English teachers in the past have taught me and that is to write a five paragraph essay (nothing longer or shorter than that) that includes a thesis statement and transition points. As well as grammar errors, punctuation errors, and spelling. If I know that this is what English writing should be like then what about my own writing?
English Testing

What have I learned from my own piece of writing or discourse? Have I improved the way I express my own discourse? These are questions I have asked myself multiple times in the past English courses I have taken. What English teachers have taught honestly has not made me learn anything but how to train for exams. This is what kills me every time. Why is it that English teachers are only teaching you to help you pass classes or pass exams instead of teaching the ways of writing in my own style and learning how to improve it?
These questions still appear to be somewhat unanswered but I have found the majority of my answers. My questions have been answered through my new English course (English 214) with Ms. Caitlin Field. Through this semester in this class I am very proud to be a part of this class and I appreciate everything we do. This class is not structured as a “typical” English class that grades you through standard learning or testing students to know if they can understand “standardized” English. In this class, I am able to express my own discourse of writing and feel comfortable with how I portray my writing to be a good writing piece. I appreciate this class so much for the opportunity we have to express ourselves in our own way and took look at writing in a whole different perspective.
This English class has begun to not only change my perspective on English class but also, in opportunity to have a new insight on what my work is all about.

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Great that you enjoy this class and you are able to write in your own discourse. I think that English classes not only prepare you for exams but also teach you writing skills that can be very beneficial in the real world. After all a great part of why we are in college is because of the SAT or ACT which consisted of a Standard English section.

    ReplyDelete